Saturday, October 23, 2010

I can feel the wind on my scalp. What?

For those of you who missed it on Facebook, I have joined the ranks of the short-haired. On Thursday, I went to Boulder and got most of my hair chopped off (donating 14 inches).

This all started as something of a "dare" last Saturday. In preparation for going out, I wasn't sure of what to wear. A couple Fellows said half-joking, "just cut it off". After talking about it, I decided to just go for it. I'm pretty happy with the new cut so far, but I definitely haven't adjusted to how it feels yet. Still playing around with how to style it, but a trip to a store other than Safeway (local grocery store) for styling things should fix that. Some pictures:

the morning of the cut


outside of the salon in Boulder

the final snips


yeah, that's my ponytail in someone else's hands (who, by the way, did a great job)

the next day

People's reactions to the change have been widely varied. For the most part, students and staff at the school have been pretty complimentary, which is nice, but there have been a few people, both at the school and on Facebook, who were really snarky about it. Mostly just, "why would you ever cut off your hair?!" but some have been more negative.
All I can really think about is that it's my decision what I choose to do to my body, especially to something that will grow back. I haven't really decided if I want to keep my hair short, but it looks like those with a negative opinion will just have to deal with it.

I really appreciate all of the positive compliments that people have offered. I know that it seems a little silly, but the support of such a big change to my appearance is greatly appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment